Pages

Sunday, January 6, 2013

We're Still Here!!!

Wow! Life got incredibly busy and blogging became the last priority for me quickly these past few weeks.  I suspect that is normal with settling in and adjusting to constant change, but after receiving numerous emails and comments on the blog I thought I would just make an updated post sans pics until I can post lots and lots of pics at a later date.  I do think my posts will likely become more sporadic for a time.  As things are picking up, it's more challenging for me to squeeze time in to blog.  But, I will try to post at least once a month.

So many different things have changed here.  Our old schedule has gone completely out the window.  We now have different service days and different meeting days.

When we moved here we had an attendance of 10 in our group (including our children) now we average around 20-23 each week.
We as a group in Puerto Armuelles were thrilled to officially have our own meeting night in English.  Presently we are now meeting on Tuesday nights and are able to have the first half of the meeting each week and about twice a month we have enough students to also do the Ministry School.  :) YAY!!!! 
This means we now are scheduled for three meetings a week which is exciting and challenging.  Particularly due to having small children.  We are looking forward to when our group grows into an official congregation and we can have the regular two meetings per week and not need to attend with the Spanish congregation for the Service Meeting at all anymore.  It takes more energy, determination and reliance on Jehovah but, we know it is temporary and Jehovah will give us the strength! :)

Let's see more news....
Brandon has continued conducting his 2 bible studies per week.  They are very regular and so appreciative of the study.  One of them told a friend of his about the study and the friend asked for a Bible Teach book.  When Brandon brought it to the friend, the man he always studies with (named Andres) had already showed the friend how the book worked and told him to look up the scriptures.  But, what his friend said next really surprised Brandon.  He said I can not take the book.  Brandon was puzzled and asked why not.  The man said he didn't have enough money that week to donate for it and he felt it would be an injustice to take such a valuable book without paying for it first!!
Needless to say Brandon respected his wishes and the next week he was able to donate and did take the book.  We were both very impressed with how much he appreciated the book and used the words "injustice" to not donate for it.  Most families in this country struggle each month to afford their expenses. They live extremely frugally and eat mostly home grown food.  The average income for a family of 4 and above, as I understand it is about $400 per month for all expenses.  Yet, he made it a priority to contribute for the literature.  Such a good example of appreciation!

So I had been struggling to find English speaking women who I could study with.  I prayed and prayed to Jehovah as I was not even finding return visits I could develop into bible studies.  I prayed very specifically and this is what happened.....
I have 5 now! In one week I was able to start 2 and the following week 3 more.  3 of them were found informal witnessing, the other 2 had family members who either are Witnesses or are studying also. One of them attended her first meeting along with her sister who also is studying after I studied the first time with her.  This was so exciting! (Rita had been really working with her to come right before it was turned over to me.  We were so proud of her for making that step.)  Ironically her husband is American and they are from about 15 minutes from Erie PA.  Which is very close to where we are from.  We hope to be able to encourage him to study also.

What a joy this has been for me!  I have had moments during the studies when I have had to (again) choke back tears as I am so thrilled to be able to teach these life changing bible truths.  I just had a study with a woman this week who actually said to me "I am really learning! More than I have ever learned in my life.  I even went to church until I was 10 and never learned this much!"  What was especially touching about that statement is that we were only on paragraph 6 of chapter 1 in the book!  
There is real learning curve for us to be able to teach the Panamanian people.  They learn and reason differently.  Thankfully, there are loving and experienced sisters here who are patient with me and are showing me how to most effectively teach.  It is much different than in the States but I am working at "the art of teaching" 2 Timothy 4:2 - and am getting better at communicating with my studies.  

Daily life here is well....HARD.  We try not to focus on all things that are 10 times harder here than they were at home.  But when we get done with a bible study or even just a morning in service we feel so so so glad to be here!  It all feels worth it! 
Needgreating is an awesome experience that brings along a wide array of emotions.  I feel like it is a process that there is no avoiding.  Missing family, missing friends, missing incredibly silly things like Franks Red Hot Sauce, missing English and being understood for daily tasks, the list goes on and on.  
We are working very hard to be balanced, focused and just keep going.  
Brandon and I regularly, if not every week reevaluate what the families needs are, how we can meet as many needs and wants that are reasonable and continue to serve Jehovah more fully.  This is by far the most challenging thing both as a mother and a wife I have ever done. I know it has been the same for Brandon. It also happens to be the most rewarding thing we can think of to be doing with our family.  The boys and Rayah are quickly learning Spanish.  They are drawing very close to both the members of our group but also some in the Spanish congregation.  We are all learning a new culture and to be adaptable. And we are definitely learning to work together as a family.
We are so thankful for Jehovah's evident support and blessings!!!

Coming Soon.... PICS I promise!


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey!! So good to hear from you :) And even more good to hear that things are going so great for you. I am so happy that your prayers for a study have been answered so abundantly! Also it's nice to hear that things are going so well with Brandon's ministry. How exciting to see such growth in the English group too!! All good things. You aren't missing anything here in the states...Just a bit of snow. Our CO visit was very encouraging...The Ericcson's are wonderful, such a nice couple to spend time with. We were even able to get 100% participation in the ministry for our Saturday service which was the goal, all of our prayers and encouragment from the CO really helped us to accomplish this and what a great shout of praise that gave to Jehovah. The excitement among the friends was so nice. Say hola to the nino pequenos for us. It's so good that you are continuing to give Jehovah your best despite the challenges you encounter. Love you guys :) Ben and Jocelyn

Becks said...

Hi Guys, Just wanted to say we are pleased to be part of your story. Hope you continue to experience the joy of need greating. Looking forward to working shoulder to shoulder with you in Jehovah's service.

Becks and Aurelie

Debra @ Life in a 320 square foot home said...

Nice to meet you, Bates family! We are thinking of moving to Panama. We were in Ecuador for 8 years before we had our son (who is now 15, you can guess how long we have been back to the US!)
We will write to the branch this week, but I was wondering if you have done a post on the cost of living - including rent, electricity, internet, food, etc. If so, can you direct me there? Thanks so much!

Post a Comment

Social Icons

Social Icons

Featured Posts